Build Versus Buy
When developing embedded systems, the decision to build or to buy a subsystem is difficult. Most of the issues are not of a technical nature but of human failings. Commitment to one another and to the project, along with a negotiated plan is the only feasible antidote to biases and irrational thought-processes that lead to failure to meet schedule, budget, and requirements.
Topics covered in this talk will include:
- Identify some problems in developing embedded systems
- Understand some cognitive biases
- Consider modeling and simulation of the development process
- Compare parameters that tend to be important in projects
- Suggest some ways to improve the decision process